Ayusa exchange student, Philippe from Mali, shares this famous peanut butter stew recipe.
- 1 chicken, cut in pieces and skin removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp of peanut butter
- 2 tomatoes, chopped + 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into halves
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into four pieces
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into four pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 green or red chili, to taste
- 1/2 1 of water + 1 organic chicken stock cube
- Pepper and salt, to taste
Step 1) Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Fry the chicken until slightly colored then put aside.
Step 2) In the same pot, fry the onions followed by the garlic, celery, and bell pepper. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, chili, and peanut butter. Toss for 1 minute then add the water, the stock cube, and the chicken pieces.
Step 3) Simmer for 15 minutes before adding the vegetables except for the sweet potato which will be added a few minutes before the end of the cooking.
Step 4) Season with salt and pepper then cook for about 30 minutes until the sauce thickens and all is cooked through.
Step 5 ) Serve with the rice of your choice and enjoy!