The Ayusa Difference
We know that hosting an exchange student is a significant commitment for families. To help promote a positive program experience for you and your student, Ayusa offers:
A Track Record of Trust
Since 1981, Ayusa has provided more than 40,000 exchange students from over 60 countries the opportunity to live and study through our programs. Ayusa is designated by the U.S. Department of State as an Exchange Visitor Program Sponsor, enabling all Ayusa participants to travel on J-1 visas. We are also a founding member of the Council for Standards for International Education Travel (CSIET), a worldwide council that defines best practices in international education.
Students Screened for Success
Ayusa students are not your average teenagers. They are leaders in their schools, involved in their communities and undergo a rigorous selection process to be accepted into the program.
- Between the ages of 15-18 by the beginning of the program
- Well-rounded, open-minded, and eager to become part of an American family
- Ayusa students hail from over 60 countries throughout Europe, Asia, Central, South America and Africa and many are recipients of prestigious scholarships
- Motivated to learn about American culture and possess intellectual maturity, strength of goals, and leadership qualities
- Eager to give back to their host communities through community service projects
- Rigorously screened to ensure their success in dealing with common challenges at school and at home
- Well prepared – all students attend a Pre-Departure Orientation in their home country by our partner organizations to ensure they have realistic expectations and are ready for the experience of a lifetime
A dedicated local representative is there to assist you, from student selection and school registration, to academic and supportive counseling for each exchange student and host family. Ayusa operates on a 3-tiered regional system of support for host families and students, in addition to our full-time headquarters staff in San Francisco. Our staff is available to you and your student 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Who Can Host?